Sunday, April 11, 2021

Depravity in Video Expression

 Video Expression to Evoke Emotional Reaction and Introspective Thought


The Videos of this assignment are examples of the expanse of man's mind and its endless endeavors to express the ideas, impulses, emotions, and complexities of existence through the medium of film. 

Specifically, I found the video Jocko Homo by Devo to be the most extreme of the selections in that it invoked in me discomfort and confusion along with a sense that what I was looking at what how far the mind of man can journey from the concepts of order, beauty, and existence that are found in abiding in God and His Holy Spirit.  

It would seem, I'm guessing that Devo is trying to express how man has devolved after evolving from animals into what is now a chaotic self-focused delusion.   Specifically showing in the scene where it looks like medical students are observing the writhing of humans on a table. 

These videos are in my opinion examples of how man can become in a sense unhinged in the psyche with thoughts that are affected by disillusionment and confusion.  there is a scripture reference that speaks of how the world will look at the reasoning of its own wisdom and create in it a perceived sense of understanding all the while forsaking that man was created to bring honor and glory to God in its thinking, reasoning, and actions. 

Specifically, Devo descends into a type of mental chaos and calls it introspective.  To the mind that holds to the reasoning of God,  this is nothing more than disorder of the mind attempting to be relevant. 

The Bible says that "For God has not given us a spirit of fear(confusion) but of sound mind" 2 Timothy 1:7

These videos fly in the face of that reasoning.  It was disturbing, invoking emotion in me that made me feel in some ways violated.  Mentally violated.  Looking upon such warped behavior, expression and visual imagery were not pleasant. 

This by far has been the least favorite assignment I have been given.  Overall, it causes mental confusion, anxiety, and emotion that is completely contrary to that which the mind finds by "setting our hearts and mind on Things Above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father." Colossian 3:2

It reminds me of how I felt when I did not know God nor Jesus Christ my Savior.  My heart and mind were volatile, confused, anxious, and depraved.  These videos have imagery that could be representative of a mind devoid of God's wisdom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment